Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Atlastapost

I have been somewhat somnolent the past few days and let this go too long. Sorry.

We went to see the Dr. today and got some good news: my blood work came out looking very good in spite of having the Chemo. Some other complaints are minor and easily handled and some of my concerns re pain can be addressed the next time I have an IV treatment.

We even talked a little about test/measurement issues (kind of like work). My daughter had asked if they tested the chemotherapy drug on a biopsy to see if it actually worked. It turns out that this has been done off and on over the past 10 years or so, with mixed results. The problem is one of transference: that is, testing in a petri dish environment does not necessarily transfer to treatment in a Chuck's guts environment. The results for the Cancer Dr. is that there has been poor correlation between test and treatment results, and when you consider that the test is very expensive, it seems more prudent to treat immediately with the best known treatment. At QP we always tried to test in the real world to avoid this kind of a problem.

It seem we will be able to meet some friends in the Mountains for a few days, so I will not be able to post again 'til we return. I was thinking of laying in the sun--but the wife tells me I am supposed to avoid too much sun. She is much better at remembering all these rules than I am.

No comments: